There is a whole set of new arts that respond to these huge cultural changes that we have experienced over the past decades. It is good to know them or have them in mind. As spectators, we can see in them new forms of expression. As artists, they are new ways to explore creativity.
Art is one of the resources at our disposal to know ourselves, express ourselves and renew ourselves. Numerous studies show the potential of art for personal well-being. Ideally, each of us should include a space for artistic creation in our life.
In the field of art, the important thing is not the results, but the practice itself. We clearly cannot all be great artists, and we do not all create works that will be exhibited and distributed on a massive scale. What is essential is that we use the practice as a space of expression, whether in the framework of the classical arts or in the world of the new arts.
The classical arts are those which have been shaped since Antiquity and which have traditionally accompanied man and societies throughout history.
Almost all of them have a distant past and have been around practically since human beings have existed. At first they were very associated with magic, then they became autonomous.
The six classical arts are:
- The painting : it is perhaps the first form of art that emerged in humanity. It essentially consists in representing reality graphically, by the use of figures and / or colors, on a solid support.
- Sculpture : it is also an ancient art, which consists in shaping materials to build figures that represent the world, in a concrete or abstract way.
- Music : it appeared very early in history, by imitating the sounds of nature. In principle, it had an exclusively ritual purpose. It is the production of harmonic sounds, by means of the voice or any instrument
- Dance : it also has a ritual origin and in this case the vehicle of expression is the body itself, which is harmonized with the rhythm of the music. At first the theater was part of dance, but later it became independent of it.
- Architecture : this is the construction of buildings that fulfill an aesthetic purpose. It is also one of the oldest arts, as there are ritual buildings that date back thousands of years.
- Literature : this is a later type of art, which began with oral storytelling, then moved on to the written level
Cinema is considered the seventh art. It only emerged until the 20th century, and somehow it brings together all the other arts. We can say that he is the pioneer of the new arts in the world.
The new arts
City life, technology and new ways of feeling have changed the landscape. Here are some of the new arts in the world:
- Photography : Photography is one of the new arts that has become very popular. It is defined as the art of painting with light, by means of a device called a camera
- The circus : the talents exhibited in the circus and the new ways of presenting this show have made it an art in its own right. It belongs to the performing arts and combines theater, music and dance
- Gastronomy : cooking is an activity which can reach enormous levels of complexity. It is also a form of individual and social expression, which is why it is considered to be one of the new arts.
- Comics and comics : they combine painting, literature and cinema to offer a new mode of expression, which began with the development of print. There is a sub-genre that is gaining in importance: the graphic novel
- The new plastic arts : in the new arts, there are several forms of expression that are found in the plastic arts. Digital art, graffiti, new media art, multimedia, interactive and electronic art, as well as interventions in public space are developments of painting and sculpture
The new arts have emerged as a response to these changes in the way we perceive, feel and express the world. Although they do not have the tradition of the precedents, they are just as valid.